The Friends of the Downey City Library hold a silent auction fundraiser each month with proceeds benefiting library programs and services.
The auction closes Monday, Aug. 28, at 12 pm. Bids can be placed in-person at the library or by calling (562) 299-6790. Winner need not be present to win.
This month’s auction items include:
1. A Book That Takes Its Time: An Unhurried Adventure in Creative Mindfulness, by Irene Smit, et al. Take time to breathe. Take time to create. Take time to reflect, take time to let go. Filled with hundreds of paper goodies, including journals, fill-in lists, etc., this creative book is like a mindfulness retreat between two covers. Minimum bid: $10
2. Fancy Nancy 3-book set: Aspiring Artist, Poet Extraordinaire! and Stellar Stargazer!, by Jane O’Connor and Robin Glasser. Three books from the wildly popular collection that features a young girl with a larger than life personality who adores all things fancy. Minimum bid: $9
3. National Geographic Prehistoric Mammals, by Alan Turner, illustrated by Mauricio Anton. Written by one of the world's foremost paleontologists, this book gives children a rare glimpse at a world gone by in a stunningly illustrated, incredibly comprehensive reference book. Minimum bid: $12
4. The Super STEM Collection, by Ken Ham, et al. These books are full of hands-on activities that will tap straight into your child’s natural curiosity. Each activity is designed to let your child learn with all their senses. Together, you can grow their love of STEM and their understanding of the world. (Note: poster not included). Minimum bid: $18
5. The Little Prince Deluxe Pop-Up Book, by Antoine de Saint Exupery. The whimsical story with a fairy tale feel has sold over 3 million copies in all formats. This exciting pop-up edition includes the complete original text accompanied by the author’s beautiful illustrations brought to life through paper engineering. (Note: The edges of 2 of the pages show wear.) Minimum bid: $10
6. Mediterranean Cookbook: Fresh, Fast, and Easy Recipes, edited by Marie-Pierre Moine. Bringing together authentic recipes from Italy, Greece, Provence, northern Africa, and the Middle East, DK's Mediterranean Cookbook gives cooks the necessary tools to recreate the flavors of the Mediterranean in their own homes. Minimum bid: $12
7. From Conception to Birth: A Life Unfolds, by Alexander Tsiaras. The splendor and beauty of a child’s growth and development in the womb--seen through unforgettable images made possible by revolutionary advances in visualization technology. Minimum bid: $8
8. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, by J.K. Rowling, illustrated by Jim Kay. The third book in the bestselling Harry Potter series, now illustrated in glorious full color by award-winning artist Jim Kay. Minimum bid: $12